Pav bhaji is a popular Indian street food dish consisting of a thick vegetable curry (bhaji) served with a soft bread roll (pav). It originated in the city of Mumbai.
The bhaji is typically made with a variety of vegetables, such as potatoes, onions, tomatoes, carrots, and peas. It is cooked in a tawa (flat iron pan) with oil and spices, such as ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chili powder, and coriander powder. The bhaji is mashed to a thick consistency and served with pav, which is a soft bread roll similar to a hamburger bun.
Pav bhaji is typically served with a garnish of chopped onions, cilantro, and lemon wedges. It is a popular dish for both breakfast and dinner, and can be found at most Indian restaurants and street food stalls.
This 50g spice mix pack is good for making 5 servings. The ingredients needed for 1 pack are as listed below.
- Tomato puree/Tomatoes – 200g/4 medium sized ones.
- Green peas – 100g (1 medium bowls).
- Green bell pepper finely chopped – 100g (1 medium bowl)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – a handful.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
Method of preparation
- Boil green peas, mash and keep them aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the green bell pepper to 2 minutes.
- Make tomato puree by boiling and crushing the tomatoes or use the packaged puree and add that to the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mashed green peas from step #1 and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the pav bhaji masala and 300ml or 1 1/4 cup of water. Cook till gravy thickens.
- Add the butter and chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Serve hot with bread.
Rasoi Magic is a brand of ready-to-cook spice mixes from India. It is owned by MTR Foods, a leading Indian food company. Rasoi Magic offers a wide variety of spice mixes for popular Indian dishes, such as butter chicken, paneer tikka masala, and biryani.