Lucknowi chicken biryani, also known as Awadhi chicken biryani, is a traditional Indian dish from the city of Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh. It is a fragrant and flavorful biryani made with chicken, rice, and a variety of spices.
Lucknowi chicken biryani is typically made by marinating chicken in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and herbs. The chicken is then layered with rice and cooked in a sealed pot over a slow flame. This cooking method, known as dum pukht, helps to tenderize the chicken and infuse the rice with the flavors of the spices.
Lucknowi chicken biryani is typically served with a variety of accompaniments, such as raita, salad, and chutney. It is a popular dish for special occasions, such as weddings and festivals.
Here are some of the key characteristics of Lucknowi chicken biryani:
- It is made with chicken, rice, and a variety of spices, including saffron, kewra water, and rose water.
- It is cooked in a sealed pot over a slow flame, using the dum pukht method.
- It is typically served with a variety of accompaniments, such as raita, salad, and chutney.
Lucknowi chicken biryani is a delicious and flavorful dish that is sure to please everyone who tries it. It is a great way to experience the rich culinary heritage of Lucknow.
This 50g spice mix pack is good for making 4 servings. The ingredients needed for 1 pack are as listed below.
- Chicken – 250g\0.5lb.
- Plain yogurt – 45g\3 tbsp.
- Sliced Onion – 150g\2 large sized ones.
- Chopped Tomato – 50g\1 medium sized one.
- Chopped coriander leaves – 50g\1 bunch.
- Ghee – 4 tsp.
- Milk – 2 tbsp.
- Basmati Rice – 250g\0.5lb\2 medium bowl.
Method of preparation
- Marinate chicken with yogurt, entire content of the spice mix, chopped coriander leaves and 1/4 cup of water. Keep it aside.
- Boil rice in 3 to 4 cups of water with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of oil. Cook till the rice is partially cooked. Drain and keep both the rice and water aside separately.
- Heat the 3 tsp of ghee and saute the sliced onion. When the onion turns golden brown, add the chopped tomatoes. Saute till ghee separates.
- Add the marinated chicken from Step #1 and fry on high flame. After 3 to 4 minutes of cooking add 1 cup of the drained water from Step #2. Cook to another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Layer the partially cooked rice and the masala mix from Step #4.
- Mix 1 tsp of ghee in 2 tbsp of warm milk and spread on top of the layered rice and masala.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes and serve.
Rasoi Magic is a brand of ready-to-cook spice mixes from India. It is owned by MTR Foods, a leading Indian food company. Rasoi Magic offers a wide variety of spice mixes for popular Indian dishes, such as butter chicken, paneer tikka masala, and biryani.