Mutton rogan josh is a popular Indian dish made with lamb or mutton cooked in a spicy, flavorful gravy. The dish is thought to have originated in Kashmir, and it is now popular all over India and the world.
The name “rogan josh” literally translates to “red lamb” in Persian. The dish gets its characteristic red color from the use of dried red Kashmiri chilies. Other spices that are typically used in rogan josh include garam masala, turmeric powder, and ginger.
Mutton rogan josh is typically made with boneless lamb or mutton, but it can also be made with bone-in meat. The meat is marinated in a mixture of spices and yogurt before being cooked in a kadhai (wok) or karahi (heavy iron pot). The gravy is then thickened with yogurt or cream and garnished with cilantro.
This 65g spice mix pack is good for making 4 servings. The ingredients needed for 1 pack are as listed below.
- Mutton\Goat\Lamb small cut pieces – 400g
- Tomato puree/Tomatoes – 80g/2 small sized ones.
- Oil – 4 tbsp.
Method of preparation
- Mix the pack content with 150ml or 2/3rd of a cup of water and marinate the meat. Keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker.
- Make tomato puree by boiling and crushing the tomatoes or use the packaged puree and add that to the cooker and cook till oil separates.
- Add the marinated meat from Step #1. Stir fry on high flame till oil separates.
- Add 225ml or 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 8 to 10 whistles. Serve hot.
Rasoi Magic is a brand of ready-to-cook spice mixes from India. It is owned by MTR Foods, a leading Indian food company. Rasoi Magic offers a wide variety of spice mixes for popular Indian dishes, such as butter chicken, paneer tikka masala, and biryani.