Paneer Deewani Handi is a popular Indian dish made with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cooked in a creamy, flavorful gravy made with tomatoes, onions, cashews, and a variety of spices. It is a rich and decadent dish that is perfect for special occasions.
The name “Paneer Deewani Handi” literally translates to “Paneer Lover’s Pot.” It is a relatively new dish, having been invented in the early 1990s in Mumbai, India. However, it has quickly become one of the most popular paneer dishes in the world.
Paneer Deewani Handi is typically made by marinating paneer cubes in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and herbs. The paneer is then cooked in a gravy made with tomatoes, onions, cashews, and a variety of spices. The gravy is typically simmered for a long period of time to allow the flavors to meld together.
Paneer Deewani Handi is typically served with rice or naan bread. It is a popular dish for special occasions, such as weddings and festivals. However, it is also enjoyed as a weeknight meal by many people.
This 50g spice mix pack is good for making 5 servings. The ingredients needed for 1 pack are as listed below.
- Tomato puree/Tomatoes – 150g/3 medium sized ones.
- Paneer cubed – 250g.
- Milk – 150ml\2/3rd of cup.
- Cubed green, yellow and red peppers – 50g\1/2 of medium bowl.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
Method of preparation
- Mix the packet content with 150ml or 2/3rd of a cup of milk to make the paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add the colored peppers and fry for 2 minutes on high flame.
- Make tomato puree by boiling and crushing the tomatoes or use the packaged puree and add that to the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the paste from Step #1 and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until oil separates.
- Add the cubed paneer and 150ml or approximately 2/3rd cup of water and cook till gravy thickens. Serve.
Rasoi Magic is a brand of ready-to-cook spice mixes from India. It is owned by MTR Foods, a leading Indian food company. Rasoi Magic offers a wide variety of spice mixes for popular Indian dishes, such as butter chicken, paneer tikka masala, and biryani.