Sambar is a lentil-based vegetable stew, cooked with pigeon pea and tamarind broth. It is popular in South Indian and Sri Lankan cuisines. The key ingredient in making a good sambar is the sambar powder or spice mix.
How to cook – For a family of 4
- Cook 3 tbsp of toor dal + 3 cups of water + 1½ tsp of oil + 1 pinch of turmeric powder.
- Add 300g of cut vegetables + 1 cup of water and cook.
- Grind 1 tbsp of MTR Sambar powder + 2 tsp of coconut + ½ cup of water. Add this mix to cooked dal and vegetables.
- Add 2½ tbsp tamarind pulp + salt + 1 tsp jaggery.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a pan. Crackle ½ tsp mustard. Add curry leaves and add the mix to Sambar.
Store in a cool, dry and hygienic place. Once opened, transfer the contents to an air-tight container. Use a dry spoon. Do not buy if the pack is damaged or torn.
This video explains how easy it is to use the MTR Sambar powder to make quick and tasty Sambar.
MTR Foods is a food products company based in Bengaluru, India. The company manufactures a range of packaged foods including breakfast mixes, ready to eat meals, masalas and spices, snacks and beverages. MTR Foods Pvt. Ltd. is a subsidiary of Norwegian conglomerate Orkla. MTR stands for Mavalli Tiffin Rooms.